How To Fix Credit Report Disputes

Correcting errors in a consumer credit report is easy if done the right way. As soon as you have a copy of your personal credit report in your hands, carefully review it to see if there are inaccuracies or incorrect charges. This article presents a guide on how consumers can properly dispute credit report errors in order to get the action they expect.

Where should you get a copy of your report?

Consumers can order their credit reports from any of the three major credit reporting agencies in the country- namely, Experian, Equifax and TransUnion. It is important to understand that each agency does its own reporting, separate from the other two. Hence, you may find errors in a report issued by one bureau which cannot be found in the reports issued by the other.

However, since there is no way you can tell from which bureau a potential creditor will inquire your report from, it’s best to make sure that all your reports from the Three Credit Report firms contain accurate information.

How do you dispute errors in your credit report?

Disputing credit report errors is best done through writing. A consumer must send a credit dispute letter to the credit bureau where they ordered their report from. How do you write a letter of dispute?

The most important thing to remember is to point out the exact information in your report that needs correction. There is really no need to make a very lengthy account as to why you feel the details are false. Simply point out the items in question with a brief explanation so that an investigation can be started.

It is also recommended to enclose a photocopy of the report with your letter, with the false details clearly marked. Enclose copies of receipts or documents that support your claim. Afterwards, send the letter via registered postal mail to ensure that it will reach its destination.

Upon receiving your letter, the bureau will conduct an investigation that can take up to 30 days. Once completed, the bureau will send a letter explaining the result of the investigation. If successfully corrected, the consumer will also be given an updated copy of his/her credit report for free.

Under the federal law, a credit reporting agency cannot refuse or neglect a consumer dispute since everyone has the right to raise questions. If you think that the credit bureau is not taking action, ask assistance from the FTC by calling their help line (877-FTC-HELP).


About the Author:

Suzy Vanstrusen is a credit analyst and a writer on the website She has been providing consumers with tips and wise information about credit repair as well as helping you out more with your bad credit loans.  Copyright © 2010

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *